Electromagnetic Feed and Rapid Traverse 'Slip-Ring' Type Clutch Adjustment Instructions
For Models 41B and 42B machines
Lucas used several types and brands of electromagnetic clutches during the production run of these machines. Some clutches were non-adjustable (they were actually self-adjusting). These instructions ONLY apply to adjustable type clutches that are supplied DC electrical power by a 'slip-ring'.
Clutch Adjustment Instructions:
- Remove the Main Motor drive belts.
- Insert a piece of 0.015 non-magnetic feeler gauge stock between the magnet plate and the magnet body thru the slot in the side of the adjustment ring.
- Engage the clutch (apply electrical power).
- A properly adjusted clutch will cause a 'light drag' on the feeler gauge stock when it is removed.
- If the clutch requires adjustment, remove the power from the clutch.
- Loosen the 'pinch-bolt' that is on the adjustment ring.
- Rotate the adjustment ring a small amount.
- Tighten the 'pinch-bolt' that is on the adjustment ring.
- Re-check the air gap as described in steps 2 thru 4.
- Repeat as necessary.